The Gas Safe Charity has given us a limited amount of funding to help older and disabled people with the cost of carrying out gas safety checks and servicing and repairing gas appliances that aren't working properly. We can provide grants of up to £250 for home owners who meet the eligibility criteria to make sure their gas appliances are working safely.
Gas Safety measures
A gas appliance that isn't working properly can be a risk to you, your family and your home. A gas leak, carbon monoxide poisoning or a fire can all cause serious injury or even death. If you notice any of the following warning signs you should get your appliance checked straight away:
- An appliance isn't working properly
- An appliance has a lazy yellow flame rather than a crisp blue one
- There are black marks or stains around the appliance
- A pilot light keeps going out
- There is increased condensation in the room
You can apply for a Gas Safety Grant to help with the cost of:
- Gas safety checks and servicing
- Gas boiler repairs, replacement or combustion analysis
- Gas fires and gas cookers
- Gas pipework, meters and water heaters
You can apply for a Gas Safety Grant if you own and live in a home in Newcastle and either:
- have a low household income; or
- you or your partner are disabled
Applying for a grant
To apply you will need to contact us for an application form. Once the application form is completed you should send it to us with:
- Proof of your age
- Evidence of low household income or disability
- A copy of a quote from a Gas Safe Engineer
The Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for the UK and all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register.
We will assess applications within five working days and inform you of the outcome as soon as possible.
Once your application is approved you can arrange to have the work carried out.
When the work is complete you should send an invoice for the approved amount and a completed Customer Satisfaction Survey to Care and Repair Newcastle. We will then pay the contractor for their work.